Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Guilty Pleasure #1: Peg Bracken


Exhibit A--Isn't it cute?
Originally uploaded by Trilby.
I've put off talking about Peg Bracken until now. I don't know why, exactly. When it comes to horrifying foodstuffs, Peg is a seminal figure. She's right up there with C. W. Post, Clarence Birdseye, and Lucretia Borgia. How can I have avoided her this long? She's like the proverbial elephant in the room that nobody is talking about.

Now, this is the point where the astute essayist gracefully inserts some useful background information, since not everyone remembers eating "Sweep Steak" (pot roast made with cream of mushroom soup) or saw the advertisements where Peg talked our mothers into buying Bird's Eye frozen vegetables. Lucky stiffs.

Well, Ms Bracken--whose name, funnily enough, sounds a great deal like "brackish," although I believe there is no etymological connection--but I may be wrong--was essentially a humorist who chose to hand out advice to housewives. She was sort of an Erma Bombeck figure, if that's helpful. (But it probably isn't.) Or a Helen Gurley Brown, if Helen had written about the kitchens of respectable married ladies instead of the bedrooms of single girls.

Peg's first best-seller, The I Hate to Cook Book, was published in 1960. Now, for foodies, the 1960s are the crucially important decade. The 1960s were the decade in which Julia Child not only published Mastering the Art of French Cooking, but starred on television as "The French Chef." The sixties were also the decade where food faddism stopped being solely the territory of cranks like Gayelord Hauser and Adelle Davis and started to go a bit more mainstream. And most importantly, it was during the sixties that packaged convenience foods hoisted their flag over the American pantry, witih the result that many Americans had no idea what fresh vegetables tasted like.

Clearly, the forces were in place for a foodie revolution.

So Peg Bracken is the standard holder for the instant, frozen, just-add-water school of mid-century American "cooking" that was about to be subsumed by blanquette de veau, granola, regional Chinese food, Northern Italian cooking, sushi, and sun-dried tomatoes. Her books are loaded with recipes made from canned this, frozen that, and instant whatchamacallit.

You'd think I'd have tarred and feathered her long ago.

Except she's a great writer. And she's funny. I suspect that if I didn't have the post-modern, post-foodie outlook I do have, I'd want to be her when I grow up.

On top of that, her books were illustrated by Hilary Knight, who also illustrated the Eloise books and Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle. So we have to give Peg a break, because even if she was hooked on dried onion soup mix, she had excellent taste in illustrators.

On the other hand, Peg still provides a lot of material for mockery. For example, there's her

1976 Trifle

[which] takes

1 strawberry jelly roll--about a pound
2 small packages strawberry Jell-O
1 cup sherry
1 package cook-type vanilla pudding (not the kind you merely mix)
whipped cream
some maraschino cherries

and preferably a transparent bowl to put it in. Line the bottom of with the jelly roll, cut in one-inch slices. Make the Jell-O according to directions EXCEPT use only half the water it calls for and make up the difference with sherry (Not cooking sherry, which is salty.) Pour it on the jelly-roll slices and mush it together gently, then put it in the refrigerator to set while you cook the pudding. Pour it on the top of the Jell-O and let it set. Before serving, decorate it with the whipped cream and the cherries.

Now, this is not the vilest glop I've ever swirled over my mental palette, but it does seem like a lot of bother, considering the number of instant and store-bought ingredients and the time it would take to assemble them. I mean, why not just buy a bakery cake? For all the time and effort involved, you could make a custard and produce a real trifle. So why bother?

Also, the name is bothersome. It's been a long time since I studied American history, but I believe the American colonists fought the revolution and broke the chains of fealty to England in order to avoid eating English food--you'll notice the first thing we did was stop drinking tea--so why make a "1776 Trifle," when clearly, if we're celebrating the Bicentennial, what is called for is apple pie?

So Peg Bracken, Queen of Culinary Incorrectness, is my guilty pleasure. It's probably shocking--as though Oprah Winfrey had been caught reading The Surrendered Wife under the covers with a flashlight--but there it is.

--P

11 comments:

Joke said...

I'd like to think Peg Bracken is being ::nudge, nudge, wink, wink:: post-modern/ironic with us.

I mean, that HAS to be it, right?

-J.

Anonymous said...

I am looking for Peg Bracken's recipe for Hellzapoppin' Cheese Rice. Does anyone have it??
Thanks in advance,
Mary

She'saPistol said...

My mother really did hate to cook and the results of her antipathy assaulted our senses nearly every night of my childhood. Her concept of cooking meant that the food was not raw, nothing more. Broiled meat, boiled starch and vegetable sans seasoning or sauces. "Broiled, Boiled Baked and Bland" was her motto.

Until my Aunt Lynn gave her a copy of the "I Hate to Cook" book and recommended the recipe for Pedro Special. A delightful combination of ground beef, beans and Fritos with appropriate Mexican seasonings. It was the only deviation from her 4 "B's"(see above) repetoire she ever did. For my sister and I, it was tasty, seasoned, decadent junk food heaven.

Pat J said...

Blogger of Horrifying Foodstuffs is a SNOB. Not only were Peg's books written in a different time, they do contain some very respectable, delectable recipes (same as any other cookbook). Try Tomartichokes (elegant) and Pretty Tomato Dressing (fresh tasting and unusual). Ahhh, you'll probably just say I like tomatoes....

Andrea said...

Because I don't think this blog entry did the ironic, clever writing of Ms. Bracken justice:

Hellzapoppin Cheese Rice
4 cups rice, cooked
4 eggs
2 tablespoons minced onion
1 tablespoon Worcestershire
2 teaspoons salt
1 lb grated sharp Cheddar
small pinches of thyme/marjoram
1 pack chopped, frozen spinach
1 cup milk
4 tablespoons melted butter

Beat the eggs til light. Add milk and seasonings. Fold in cheese, spinach, and rice. Pour the whole thing into a greased casserole. Top with melted butter and bake in a 375 degree oven for thirty-five minutes. Enjoy.

Anonymous said...

I'm as random a housewife as they come, and reading Peg Bracken's books have kept me sane. For me they're infinitely better than those Martha-esque culinary and housekeeping bibles, which pressure me to no end to produce perfection in the home I'm supposed to relax and be myself in. Ms. Bracken's one of my all-time favorite writers now.

Healthy Eating Rebel said...

That's interesting. The reason I came across this blog was because I was looking for one of her references from the book for an article I'm writing at Rebel With a Fork. Can't find him anywhere.

I have the I Hate to Cook Almanck - and I'm not seeing a bunch of recieps with instant ingredients. As a matter of fact, I found recipes for making your own vanilla wafers, and graham crackers.

I remember how populat it was to cook with Lipton Onion Soup mix. Had to laugh at that ;-)

Mikey said...

Sorry for such a late comment but there is news on the Peg Bracken front. Peg lived in Portland, OR, my hometown, until her death in 2007. Sadly, her gem of a book was out of print for years. That's changed.

Her daughter is re-releasing the book and it's available for pre-order from Amazon.com.

With some adaptations for modern tastes, I find the book quite the valuable asset in my own cooking. Face it, while not like fresh, the recipes are solid and above all, CHEAP to make in our current dodgy economic times.

Even if you don't find much to your tastes, I agree that it's worth reading. The irreverent humor, and the illustrations are worth the $16 or so.

Anonymous said...

Having worn out the copies of my mother's books which I gave her (and then stole back!) AND the copies I replaced them with... Yeah. She is one of my heros. And it is HER recipes my family asks for. Now if I could just find her recipe for baked bananas (baked in the skin; ice cream on top; appeared in Family Circle in the 1970's)....

We love Sockittome Cake, Swipe Steak, Mushroom Business, Tamale Casserole, Stayabed Stew, Carrot Cake, Danish Almond Sheet-- the list could go on and on.

I'd like to think we're relatively normal, and that her recipes are better than say, Kraft Mac and Cheese, which, to my kids, is next best after steak! It's not Sandra Lee semi-homemade (which often ends up being preservatives holding the artificial flavorings together-- Sorry Sandy!) but no one is expecting me to bone fish or make pasta from scratch, either.

Anonymous said...

Aren't you just the arrogant and smarmy foodie. Some of us actually like Bracken's recipes.

Unknown said...

The Stay A Bed Stew (think that's the name) is fab. I've even served it to company who raved and wanted the recipe (didn't give it). Rest in Peace Peg. Now you don't have to cook at all!