Tuesday, July 12, 2005

As Seen on TV!


Betty Crocker Bake and Fill
Originally uploaded by Trilby.
I think I may have just stumbled upon something my daughter has been babbling about for a couple of weeks. I gather that Cartoon Network or The Fox Box or some other Children's Television Network From Hell is running back-to-back advertisements for this weird cake-baking doo-hickey.

(I'm also hearing a lot about something called "The Chocolate Factory," where you make chocolate fondue, chocolate lollipops, etc. But while grossly overpriced, at least The Chocolate Factory involves chocolate. Which is pretty hard to make Horrifying enough to deserve inclusion in the Horrifying Foodstuffs canon.)

However, the Betty Crocker Bake 'n' Fill monstrosity wants you to use cake mix (three guesses which brand) and bake two layers of cake in such a way that you have a big hollow space just waiting to be filled--with some Cool-Whip™-addled substance, I have no doubt--unless General Mills, parent company of Betty Crocker, has a different product they'd like me to use.

But what's a mother to do? My daughter wants me to buy it for her. I'll probably cave.

Unless a new advertisement for some new mass-produced atrocity comes along to divert her attention. Even a gross of My Little Ponies is a small price to pay to avoid having to bake a giant lady bug cake.

--P.

4 comments:

Joke said...

You can use the "dome" part of the kit to bake a different sort of cake batter (f'rinstance, a genoise) to contrast the "main" batter (say...a chocolate sponge), instead of creating a cake with a void and then filling it (the void)with Kool-aid flavored Cool-Whip or some other palate raping abomination.

Just a thought.

Poppy B. said...

I was thinking the dome part would make a handy footbath.

Or maybe a non-plumbed bidet to take along when I go camping.

--P.

Badger said...

Dude, you can put ice cream in the hole instead of Cool Whip! I know, because I've seen the commercial.

Jasmine said...

I saw this for the first time Saturday afternoon during a particularly entertaining visit to the Bed, Bath, and Be-yotch on State and Grand. I wanted to get this, if for no other reason than to display it along with the other cooking implements that I never use.